Do It Yourself
Some easy tips to make your move faster, smoother, and less expensive
- Hold a garage sale or give away unwanted items. Craigslist’s free section is a good place to turn.
- Get rid of flammables – paint, petrol, gas cylinders.
- Empty fuel from the lawn mower.
- Go through your clothes – do you need them all? Charity shops may want them. Large donations can be tax-deductible.
- Figure out what appliances you are taking and make sure the hookups match.
- Start making up your change of address list.
- Arrange to have mail forwarded.
- Arrange termination date for electricity, gas, and other utilities.
- If you are taking electrical goods such as a stereo, computers, or TV, see if you still have their original boxes.
- Arrange to have rugs cleaned after move out, if necessary. Just a reminder, we offer maid service.
- If you have children, separate cherished toys to travel with you.
- Round up personal documentation and put somewhere safe: marriage/birth certificates, driving licenses and so on.
- Come up with a plan for the pets.
- Start running down freezer stocks.
Week of Move, have you…
- Defrosted the refrigerator/freezer?
- Planned simple meals for moving day to avoid using appliances?
- Separated personal items needed for travel?
- Cleaned garden tools, bicycles and any other gardening equipment?
- Emptied the tanks of powered tools such as mowers?
- Checked you have enough medication for at least two weeks, and ensure you have copies of any necessary prescriptions for use at destination?
- Arranged for someone to look after the children on moving day?
- Remembered to Relax!?!?
WikiHow article on packing: crowdsourced knowledge.